First of all, what is Badland?
Badland is an atmospheric side-scrolling platformer in a world filled with traps and pitfalls. The game takes place in a fairytale forest – but a fairy tale forest with a flaw. The game unfolds as you find out what that flaw is.
So Badland is part endless-runner, part physics-puzzler, and part inverted plat former, there’s a crisis of identity at the heart of Badland that reveals itself through one glaring flaw – quite often you’ve got no idea whether what’s happening is happening because of you.
Badland Image Gallery
Badland on Auto Pilot
In Badland you take control of a cute black blob that looks a lot like an afro with wings except this afro has serious attitude. You’re constantly moving from left to right, but pushing a finger on the screen makes the blob fly upwards, and releasing your finger lets it float back down to the ground.
This game gives you all the control period it’s up to you to work through a series of somewhat difficult mazes filled with switches, boulders, spikes, and explosive things. There are power-ups littering the levels too, which help and hinder you equally. I mean, this game has it all – like some glowing orange pills make you big, while others make you small. There are speed up and slow down pills; clone pills that burst into a series of identical versions of your blob; and yellow pills that make you bouncy or sticky.
Picking any of these up often leads to chaos, but it’s rarely a chaos that you feel like you’re part of. Blobs explode on the screen, squished by falling boulders as they race across a treacherous valley of fans, but all you did was tap the screen a couple of times.
Land of the Constrained
That disjunction between what your fingers are doing and what’s happening on the screen can sometimes be overwhelming. You’ll finish a level but it doesn’t feel like you’ve actually achieved anything. It’s a problem that’s rife in the multiplayer, too. While pushing the screen with up to three other friends can make for some frantic and hilarious experiences, victories often feel hollow and undeserved.
Badland Game Features
– Single-player campaign with 50 truly unique levels and more coming in updates
– Multiplayer mode for up to four players playing with the same device in 16 levels and more coming in updates
– Intuitive one-touch controls combined with innovative level design
– Highly immersive audio-visual gaming experience
– 100% indie game (no publisher, no investor)
– Universal app with no IAP (player gets the whole game experience optimized to all of his/her iOS devices)
– iCloud support (player’s game progress is synced between all linked iOS devices)
– More levels and content coming in updates
Badland is a stunning-looking game. We highly recommend it. It’s a thinking game with attitude and a great overall style!